Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Movie Recommendation: The Wrong Nanny (2017)

 

I have to admit, The Wrong Nanny was not quite what I expected it to be.

When I first started watching it, I thought I was settling in for one of those typical Lifetime thrillers. You know the kind. There is a seemingly perfect family, someone new comes into their lives, something feels slightly off, and before you know it, everything starts falling apart.

And honestly, I enjoy those movies. I like the suspense, the secrets, the unexpected twists and those moments when you find yourself sitting there thinking, “Why on earth would you do that?”

But this one got to me in a completely different way.

The story centres around Stella Armstrong, a mother of twins who is trying to keep everything together while also organizing a fundraiser in memory of her mother. Like so many mothers, she has a lot on her plate and needs some extra help with the children. That is where Blake comes in.

At first, Blake seems like the perfect nanny.

She is sweet, helpful and caring. There is nothing about her that immediately makes you think she is someone Stella should be worried about. But, of course, this is a Lifetime movie, so we know there is more going on than meets the eye.

And then comes the revelation.

Blake is actually Stella's daughter.

The daughter Stella gave up for adoption many years earlier.

That was the moment when the movie really changed for me.

Suddenly, this was no longer just a story about a nanny who was hiding something. It became a story about a mother and daughter who had been separated for years, a past that had never really been resolved and a young woman carrying an enormous amount of hurt.

But Blake has not come back looking for a loving reunion.

She has come back for revenge.

And this is where I found myself feeling incredibly conflicted.

I was frightened by Blake and by what she was capable of doing, but at the same time, I felt sorry for her. You could see the pain behind her anger. You could feel that this was someone who had spent years wondering about the mother who had given her away and trying to make sense of her own life.

That is what I found so interesting about Freya Tingley's performance as Blake.

She did not make Blake feel like a simple villain. There were moments when I could see the hurt, the loneliness and the longing underneath everything she was doing. You could almost understand why she was angry, even though some of the things she did were completely wrong.

And that made me uncomfortable in a good way.

I found myself thinking, “I understand why you are hurting, but I really wish you had chosen a different way to deal with it.”

There were moments when I felt heartbroken for her and moments when I was sitting there wondering what she was going to do next. That emotional tug of war made the movie much more interesting for me.

What really stayed with me was the subject of abandonment.

There is something incredibly painful about growing up wondering where you came from, who your parents are and why they made the choices they did. We do not always know what someone has carried quietly for years. Sometimes the wounds that are invisible can be the deepest ones.

The movie also made me think about motherhood and the decisions we make in life.

Stella had made a decision many years earlier to give her daughter up for adoption. Whatever her reasons were at the time, she eventually had to face the consequences of that decision years later. Life had moved on. She had a family of her own and twins who depended on her. But the past had not disappeared.

It had simply been waiting.

And sometimes, I think, that is how life works.

We can put something behind us and convince ourselves that we have moved on, but that does not necessarily mean the emotions connected to it have disappeared. Unresolved hurt has a way of resurfacing when we least expect it.

Of course, The Wrong Nanny is still a Lifetime thriller, so there are definitely moments where you have to suspend reality a little. Some scenes are dramatic, some situations are exaggerated and there are definitely moments when I found myself talking back to the television!

But that is part of what makes these movies entertaining.

What surprised me was how much this particular story made me think after the movie was over.

It made me think about family and how complicated family relationships can be. It made me think about the choices we make and how those choices can affect other people, sometimes many years later. Most of all, it made me think about how much damage can come from carrying anger and resentment without ever finding a way to heal from them.

I also found myself thinking about forgiveness.

Not because everything that happened in the movie could simply be forgiven or forgotten. Some things have consequences. But because forgiveness can sometimes be more about freeing yourself from the pain you have been carrying than pretending that the hurt never happened.

Blake wanted answers. She wanted acknowledgement. She wanted to matter to the mother she felt had abandoned her.

Sadly, instead of finding a healthy way to deal with all those emotions, her pain became anger, and her anger became revenge.

And that, to me, was the saddest part of the story.

Underneath all the suspense and drama, I think The Wrong Nanny is really a story about broken relationships and the desire to belong.

It reminded me that people can look perfectly fine on the outside while carrying years of hurt on the inside. It also reminded me that our past can shape us, but it does not have to control what we become.

Would I recommend this movie?

Yes, I would.

If you enjoy Lifetime movies, suspense, family secrets and stories with a psychological and emotional element, I think this is one worth adding to your movie list.

Just do not expect it to be simply another story about a troublesome nanny.

The Wrong Nanny was really about a mother, a daughter, a past that was never properly dealt with and what can happen when old wounds are allowed to grow.

It was suspenseful, dramatic and, at times, a little over the top, but it also had an emotional side that I was not expecting.

And perhaps that is why it stayed with me.

Sometimes a movie gives you a few hours of entertainment and then you forget about it.

Other times, a movie makes you think about life, family, choices and the things people carry silently.

The Wrong Nanny was definitely the second kind for me.

And yes, I would watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © I Am S.P.G.

Design by Debra Palmer