Forgiveness is one of the hardest things God asks of us, yet it is also one of the most freeing. When someone hurts us, especially when the hurt is deep and personal, our first instinct can be to protect ourselves, hold on to the pain and remember what was done to us. Sometimes we may even feel that forgiving means saying that what happened was acceptable. But the readings for the 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time remind me that forgiveness is not about denying the hurt. It is about choosing not to allow that hurt to control the rest of my life.
In the first reading from Ecclesiasticus, we are reminded of something very challenging: “If a man nurses anger against another, can he then demand compassion from the Lord?” These words make me stop and think. How can I ask God to forgive me for my own mistakes, weaknesses and failures while refusing to extend forgiveness to someone who has hurt me?
I know that I am not perfect. I have made mistakes. I have said things I wish I could take back. I have disappointed people and I have needed forgiveness myself. Every time I go before God and ask for His mercy, I am reminded of how generous His love is. God does not keep a record of my failures and use them against me. He invites me to repent, to learn, to grow and to begin again.
That is why forgiveness is such an important part of my own faith journey.
There have been moments in my life when I have been hurt, disappointed and let down by people. There have been situations where I have struggled to understand why someone behaved the way they did or why certain things had to happen. I have learned that it is very easy to carry these experiences with me. We can replay conversations in our minds, think about what we should have said, wonder why someone treated us a certain way and quietly allow resentment to take root in our hearts.
But the longer I hold on to anger, the heavier my heart becomes.
Jesus takes this teaching even further in today's Gospel. Peter asks Jesus how many times he should forgive someone who sins against him. Peter probably thought he was being generous when he suggested forgiving seven times. But Jesus answered, “Not seven, I tell you, but seventy seven times.”
I love how direct Jesus is.
He does not give Peter a number so that we can keep count. Jesus is teaching us that forgiveness cannot simply be a mathematical exercise. It has to become a way of living. We cannot say, “I have forgiven this person seven times, so that is enough.” Forgiveness is something we may have to choose again and again.
Sometimes we forgive someone and then the memory comes back. Sometimes the pain resurfaces when we least expect it. Sometimes we think we have moved on, only to discover that there is still a part of our heart that hurts. Does that mean we failed to forgive? I do not think so. Perhaps it simply means that forgiveness is a journey.
For me, forgiveness has taught me that I can acknowledge that something hurt me without allowing that hurt to become who I am.
I can recognize that something was wrong without living in anger. I can seek truth and justice when necessary without filling my heart with hatred. I can create boundaries when I need to protect myself while still asking God to bless the person who hurt me.
That is not weakness.
That takes courage.
The parable Jesus shares in the Gospel makes this even clearer. A servant owes his master an enormous debt and is unable to repay it. The master shows him mercy and forgives the entire debt. Yet when that same servant encounters another servant who owes him a much smaller amount, he refuses to show the same mercy.
Jesus is showing us something uncomfortable about human nature. Sometimes we are very aware of the mercy we need from God, but we can quickly forget the mercy we have received when someone else hurts us.
How often have I asked God for patience, understanding and forgiveness for myself? Yet when someone else makes a mistake, how quickly can I become frustrated or judgmental?
The Gospel challenges me to look at my own heart.
God has forgiven me more times than I can count. He has given me opportunities to start again. He has remained faithful even when I have not always been faithful to Him. If I truly believe in God's mercy, then I have to allow that mercy to change the way I treat other people.
Forgiving someone does not mean I suddenly forget everything that happened. It does not mean I have to restore every relationship to the way it was before. It does not mean I have to put myself back into a situation that continues to hurt me.
Forgiveness is something that happens within my heart.
It is saying, “Lord, I give this to You. I cannot carry this forever. You know what happened. You know how much it hurt. You know what I have struggled with. I choose to place this person and this situation into Your hands.”
Sometimes that prayer is easy.
Sometimes it is not.
Sometimes I have had to pray it more than once.
And perhaps that is exactly what Jesus means when He tells us to forgive seventy seven times. There may be days when I feel that I have forgiven someone, and then another memory brings the hurt back. On those days, I can choose forgiveness again. Not because the person necessarily deserves it, but because I want to be free.
I have come to realize that forgiveness is not primarily about releasing someone else from responsibility. It is about releasing my own heart from the prison of resentment.
When I hold on to anger, I remain connected to the hurt. When I surrender it to God, I begin to move forward.
This does not happen overnight. Some wounds take time. Some require many prayers. Some require tears. Some require difficult conversations. Some require distance. But through all of it, I believe God is gently teaching me that I do not have to carry everything myself.
There is also something very beautiful about forgiveness because it allows God to work in places where I cannot.
I may never receive the apology I hoped for. I may never understand why someone did what they did. I may never get the explanation I wanted. But I can still choose peace.
I can choose not to become bitter.
I can choose not to allow another person's actions to change the person God is calling me to be.
And most importantly, I can choose love.
When I think about my own relationship with God, I know that I have been given far more mercy than I could ever earn. God's forgiveness is not something I deserve because I am perfect. It is a gift because He loves me.
That is the heart of today's Gospel.
Jesus is not asking us to pretend that pain does not exist. He is asking us not to become prisoners of it.
“Not seven, I tell you, but seventy seven times.”
Perhaps every one of those seventy seven times is another opportunity to say, “Lord, help me let go.”
Help me release the anger.
Help me surrender the resentment.
Help me forgive what I cannot change.
Help me remember that I, too, am someone who has needed forgiveness.
And help me become more like You.
I am still learning. I do not always get it right. But I believe forgiveness is one of the greatest acts of courage we can make. It takes courage to acknowledge our pain, courage to surrender our need for revenge, courage to trust God with what happened and courage to choose peace when anger feels easier.
Today, I pray for the grace to keep choosing forgiveness, not just once, not just seven times, but seventy seven times and as many times as my heart needs.
Because forgiveness does not change the past.
But with God's grace, it can change the future.
And sometimes, the person who needs forgiveness most is not the person who hurt me.
It is the person inside me who is still carrying the hurt.
Lord, give me the courage to let go, the wisdom to know when to set boundaries, and the grace to forgive as You have forgiven me.
---
Reflection: When I remember God's mercy toward me, does it make me more patient and compassionate with others?
When I remember how merciful God has been towards me, I realis how much I still have to learn about being patient and compassionate with others. I have made mistakes, wandered away from God, and yet He never gave up on me. When I returned to the Church after being away for many years, I experienced His mercy in a very personal way. He welcomed me back without judgement and gave me the grace to begin again.
That reminds me that I cannot expect perfection from others when God has never expected perfection from me. I am learning to be more understanding, especially when people disappoint or hurt me. I may not always understand their actions, but I can choose compassion instead of judgement.
God has forgiven me countless times, and remembering that helps me pause before reacting. It reminds me that everyone is fighting their own battles, carrying their own wounds and trying to find their way. If God can be patient with me, I can learn to be patient with others too.
For me, mercy is not just something I receive from God. It is something I am called to give.

No comments:
Post a Comment