I think the highest compliment I have received since AI became part of our everyday lives, and quite possibly the highest compliment I have received in my entire professional life, came last week. And ironically, it started with me thinking someone was incredibly rude.
For the past few months, I had been communicating with a business associate. I would send messages, share updates, provide information about business developments, follow up on things we had discussed and generally keep him informed about what was happening. Every single time I sent something, there was silence. No “thank you,” no “got it,” no thumbs up emoji. Nothing. Eventually, I found myself thinking, “What a rude person.” To me, business etiquette matters. You do not have to write an essay in response to every message someone sends you, but acknowledging someone’s communication is simply basic courtesy.
So, naturally, I carried on doing what I do. I kept working, kept communicating and kept providing information. At the same time, I quietly added him to the mental category of people who clearly had very little business etiquette.
Then, over the last month, something interesting happened. He contacted me twice. On both occasions, he asked me for information and business decks. Of course, I sent them over, quickly, efficiently and with everything he needed. And once again, there was silence. No response. At this point, I had pretty much decided that this was simply his communication style. Perhaps he was busy. Perhaps he was just not particularly interested. Or perhaps, as I had already concluded in my head, he was simply a little rude.
Then, last week, my phone rang.
It was him.
And the first thing he said completely changed the way I saw the entire situation.
“We finally talk and I know now that you’re not an AI bot!”
I burst out laughing.
An AI bot? Me? Apparently, yes.
He went on to explain that he had actually been wondering about me for quite some time. He had been receiving my messages and updates, but he had never replied because he genuinely thought I was an AI bot. Not only did he think I was AI, but he apparently thought I was an exceptionally sophisticated AI.
He had been fascinated by the level of detail in my messages, the way I personalized information, the consistency of my updates, the speed at which I responded and the way I seemed to remember things. He had apparently been thinking, “How high tech is this AI?” Meanwhile, I had been sitting there thinking, “How rude is this human?”
The irony was not lost on either of us.
I jokingly told him that, in a way, I felt like I had failed. If someone I was doing business with thought I was a robot, surely that meant there was no human connection there. After all, business is about people. Relationships matter. Trust matters. Communication matters. And I had apparently managed to be so efficient that I had removed myself from the equation entirely.
He laughed and immediately corrected me.
“That’s not the case,” he said.
And then came the part that turned this funny little story into one of the greatest compliments I have ever received.
He explained that he was curious precisely because he could not understand how a human being could be operating at that level of efficiency. He had been wondering why this “AI bot” was so advanced that it could actually show so much humanness.
Think about that for a moment.
He was not saying I lacked humanity. He was saying he could not believe the human behind the work because the quality and consistency of the work seemed almost beyond what he expected from a human. He told me that I was simply so efficient at what I do that he genuinely did not believe there was an actual person behind all of it.
And honestly?
I will take that compliment.
Because being good at what you do matters. Not because we need other people to think we are extraordinary, and not because we need constant validation, but because there is something deeply satisfying about becoming so competent at your craft that excellence becomes your normal.
I have always believed that if you are going to do something, you should do it properly. Do not just show up. Show up prepared. Do not just answer. Answer properly. Do not just complete a task. Think about what the person actually needs and, if possible, provide it before they even have to ask. Do not just do the minimum. Look for the next step, look for the gap and look for the opportunity to make something easier, better, faster or more effective.
That, to me, is professionalism. And it is something I have tried to build into everything I do.
Success is not always about being the loudest person in the room. It is not necessarily about having the biggest title, the largest office, the most impressive job description or the longest list of achievements. Sometimes success is simply becoming exceptionally good at what you do.
So good that people trust you.
So reliable that people do not have to chase you.
So organized that things happen before anyone realizes they needed to happen.
So creative that you can see possibilities others have not considered.
So resourceful that when something goes wrong, your first instinct is to find a solution rather than an excuse.
And so consistent that people know what they are going to get from you every single time.
That kind of excellence does not happen overnight. It comes from years of experience. It comes from making mistakes and learning from them. It comes from listening, paying attention to details and caring about the outcome. It comes from taking pride in your work even when nobody is watching.
And perhaps most importantly, it comes from understanding that your reputation is built one interaction at a time.
Every email.
Every phone call.
Every presentation.
Every deadline.
Every promise.
Every follow up.
Every problem you solve.
Every person you help.
They all add up.
We live in a world where AI can now produce emails, analyze information, create presentations, write reports, generate images, summarize documents and perform countless tasks in seconds. And perhaps that is why this particular compliment amused me so much.
Someone thought I was AI because I was doing the very things AI is now famous for. Being fast. Being consistent. Remembering details. Personalizing communication. Processing information. Producing polished work. Being available. Being efficient.
But here is the thing.
Efficiency does not have to come at the expense of humanity.
In fact, I think the best professionals combine the two. You can be highly efficient and still care. You can be organized and still be warm. You can be ambitious and still be kind. You can be incredibly good at business and still understand that relationships are at the heart of it.
And perhaps that is the real lesson I took from this experience.
I initially judged his silence. I assumed it meant he did not care. I assumed it meant he was rude. I assumed it meant my messages were not valued. When, in reality, he was sitting on the other side of the conversation thinking something completely different.
He was thinking, “There is no way this is a real person.”
Funny how easily we can misunderstand silence. We create stories in our heads based on what we do not know. Sometimes the person is not ignoring us. Sometimes they are processing. Sometimes they are busy. Sometimes they do not know what to say.
And sometimes…
They genuinely think you are a robot.
Which, I have to admit, is a pretty good reason not to reply.
But beyond the humour, I found myself genuinely touched by what he said. Because I have spent a lot of my professional life trying to be good at what I do.
Not perfect. Nobody is perfect.
But good.
Reliable. Creative. Resourceful. Professional.
Someone who can be trusted to take something and run with it. Someone who does not need to be micromanaged. Someone who does not need to be reminded five times. Someone who does not simply wait for instructions but thinks.
And when someone tells you that your work is so efficient, so consistent and so personalized that they genuinely thought an AI was behind it, well, that is a compliment I do not think I will forget anytime soon.
The funniest part?
I spent months thinking, “What a rude person.”
And he spent months thinking, “What an incredible AI.”
Turns out, we were both completely wrong.
And perhaps there is another lesson in that too.
Never underestimate the impression your work leaves on people, even when they do not tell you they are impressed.
Sometimes your biggest compliments are not the ones you hear immediately. Sometimes they are happening quietly on the other side of the screen. Sometimes someone is watching how you work, noticing your consistency, your attention to detail, your creativity and your efficiency without saying a word.
And sometimes, months later, they call you and tell you they thought you were a machine.
So, thank you, Mr Business Associate.
You may have inadvertently given me one of the greatest compliments I have ever received.
And yes, I am very much human.
But I will happily take “so good at what you do, I thought you were AI” as one hell of a professional compliment.
Just do not expect me to start answering every message with:
“Beep. Thank you for your enquiry. Your request has been received.”
Because apparently, I have already fooled one person.

No comments:
Post a Comment