Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Movie Recommendation: The Idea of You (2024)

 

There are some movies you watch simply because you want to be entertained, and then there are movies that unexpectedly make you feel something. The Idea of You, released in 2024 and starring Anne Hathaway and Nicholas Galitzine, falls somewhere beautifully in between. It is romantic, emotional, funny, glamorous and just a little bit naughty in the way that makes you smile at the screen. For me, it was one of those movies that reminded me that life does not always follow the neat little rules we create for ourselves.

The story follows Solène, played by Anne Hathaway, a divorced mother in her forties who unexpectedly meets Hayes Campbell, a much younger singer from a hugely successful boy band. What begins as a chance encounter develops into a complicated romance that takes them from ordinary moments into the extraordinary world of fame, travel and public attention. Of course, nothing about falling in love with someone famous and considerably younger is going to be simple.

What I particularly enjoyed about this movie is that Solène is not presented as someone who needs rescuing. She is independent, intelligent, experienced and perfectly capable of standing on her own two feet. She has her own life, responsibilities and insecurities. Yet she also has desires, dreams and a heart that is still very much alive. I loved that about her.

There is something incredibly relatable about the idea that we can sometimes convince ourselves that certain chapters of our lives are already closed. We tell ourselves that perhaps romance is for younger people, adventure belongs to another season, or excitement is something we have already experienced. Then life has a funny way of surprising us.

And then there is Nicholas Galitzine.

Honestly, let us just take a moment.

This man is HOT.

There, I said it.

Nicholas Galitzine is absolutely gorgeous in this movie, and he has that rare combination of charm, confidence and sweetness that makes Hayes Campbell incredibly easy to fall for. His smile alone could probably carry several scenes. There is something about the way he plays Hayes that makes the character feel more than just the stereotypical handsome young pop star. He brings warmth and vulnerability to him, which makes the relationship with Solène feel much more believable.

And yes, I absolutely noticed how ridiculously good looking he is. I am watching a romantic movie. I am allowed to appreciate the scenery!

But underneath all the good looks, the movie actually asks some interesting questions. What happens when two people genuinely connect but the world around them refuses to accept their relationship? How much should other people's opinions matter? Can love survive when everyone has something to say about it?

Those questions are what give The Idea of You more substance than I initially expected.

I also appreciated that the movie does not pretend that age differences, family responsibilities or public scrutiny magically disappear because two people fall in love. There are consequences. There are difficult conversations. There are moments where characters have to decide whether what they feel is worth fighting for.

For me, that is where the movie becomes particularly interesting. Love is not always convenient. Sometimes it arrives at the wrong time, through the wrong person, under circumstances you never imagined. Sometimes the biggest obstacle is not whether you love someone, but whether you are brave enough to admit what you want.

Anne Hathaway is wonderful as Solène. She brings a mixture of elegance, humour, vulnerability and strength to the character. She makes Solène feel like a real woman rather than simply a romantic fantasy. I found myself understanding her hesitation while also wanting her to let go and enjoy the experience.

The movie is also visually beautiful. The concerts, hotels, fashion and glamorous settings give it that escapist quality that makes romantic movies so enjoyable. There is something lovely about being able to sit back for a couple of hours and enter a world where unexpected romance can happen.

Would I recommend The Idea of You?

Absolutely.

I would recommend it if you enjoy romantic stories with a little bit of emotional depth. I would recommend it if you like Anne Hathaway. I would recommend it if you enjoy stories about second chances and discovering that life may still have surprises waiting for you. And, quite frankly, I would recommend it if you need an excellent reason to spend a couple of hours looking at Nicholas Galitzine.

But beyond the romance and the eye candy, what stayed with me was the reminder that we should never decide that a particular part of life is over simply because we have reached a certain age or because circumstances have changed.

Sometimes we need to remember that we are still living.

We can still laugh. We can still dream. We can still be surprised. We can still meet someone who makes our hearts beat a little faster.

And sometimes, just sometimes, that someone might look like Nicholas Galitzine.

Now that is what I call a movie recommendation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © I Am S.P.G.

Design by Debra Palmer