Saturday, October 10, 2026

World Mental Health Day 2026: Lived Experiences Heard, Real Voices, Real Change

 

Mental health is something we need to talk about more openly, not just on World Mental Health Day, but every single day. The theme for World Mental Health Day 2026, “Lived experiences heard: real voices, real change,” speaks to me on a personal level because I believe that behind every person who struggles with their mental health is a story that deserves to be heard, understood and respected.

For too long, mental health has been a subject people find difficult to discuss openly. There is still fear of being judged, misunderstood or labelled as weak. Although awareness has improved, stigma remains, and many people continue to suffer in silence because they are afraid of how others might react.

My own struggles with mental health have taught me that some of the hardest battles are the ones nobody else can see.

One of the hardest things about struggling with mental health is that life does not stop just because you are struggling inside.

You can still get up every morning, fulfil your responsibilities, care for the people around you and smile when someone speaks to you. From the outside, everything may appear perfectly fine. People may assume you are coping well because you continue to show up and get things done.

What they may not see is the emotional exhaustion, the overthinking, the moments of feeling overwhelmed or the effort it takes just to get through another day.

My own journey has reminded me that struggling does not mean I have failed. Having difficult days does not erase the progress I have made, and feeling vulnerable does not make me any less strong.

I am human, just like everyone else. I have feelings, fears and moments when I need time to process what I am going through. I should not have to pretend that everything is fine simply to make other people comfortable.

I believe there is courage in acknowledging our struggles instead of hiding them. Being honest with ourselves about how we feel is not a weakness. It is an important step towards understanding what we need and allowing ourselves to receive support.

We should never have to prove that we are struggling enough before our pain is taken seriously.

I think one of the biggest challenges many people face is the expectation that we should always be strong.

We are often praised for being resilient, independent and dependable. While these qualities are valuable, they can also create pressure to handle everything on our own, even when we are emotionally exhausted.

But who takes care of the people who are always taking care of everyone else?

Who checks on the person who constantly encourages others, offers support and reminds everyone that things will get better?

Sometimes, the people who appear to have everything under control are simply the ones who have learned to carry their struggles quietly.

I have come to understand that strength is not about pretending nothing hurts. It is about recognizing our feelings and giving ourselves permission to experience them without shame.

We can appreciate the good things in our lives while acknowledging the things that hurt us. We can care deeply about our families and responsibilities while still experiencing emotional difficulties.

We can be strong and still need support. We can be hopeful and still have difficult days. We can be making progress and still need time to heal.

There is no contradiction in that. It is simply part of being human.

Despite greater awareness, stigma remains one of the biggest barriers preventing people from speaking openly about their mental health.

People experiencing emotional difficulties may be told to stop overthinking, toughen up, be more positive or remember that others have it worse. Sometimes, they are made to feel that their struggles reflect a lack of strength or an inability to cope with life.

These comments may not always come from a place of cruelty, but they can leave people feeling dismissed and misunderstood.

Mental health is not a competition. Someone else's suffering does not make our own struggles any less real.

We would not normally tell someone with a physical injury to ignore the pain and carry on as though nothing happened. Yet when someone is struggling emotionally, there can be an expectation that they should simply pull themselves together.

Why should emotional pain be treated differently?

I hope we can move away from this mindset and become more accepting of people experiencing mental health challenges. We do not need to fully understand someone's struggles to treat them with compassion. We do not need to have experienced the same pain to listen without judgement.

Nobody should have to worry that being honest about their mental health will cause others to question their abilities, treat them differently or see them as less capable.

People deserve to be seen for who they are, not defined by what they are going through.

I hope the day will come when talking about mental health feels as natural as talking about physical health. People should feel safe enough to share their experiences, seek professional help and ask for support without fearing the labels society might place on them.

Awareness is important, but awareness alone is not enough. We need greater understanding, acceptance and a willingness to change how we respond to those who are struggling.

This year's theme, “Lived experiences heard: real voices, real change,” reminds us that mental health is not simply a topic for reports, discussions or awareness campaigns. It affects real people, their relationships, their responsibilities and their everyday lives.

Behind every statistic is a person with hopes, dreams and challenges that others may never fully see.

When people share their experiences, they help others understand what mental health struggles can look like beyond the surface. Their stories can challenge misconceptions and remind someone who feels alone that they are not the only one facing difficult times.

We never know who might need to hear our words. Someone reading our story may have been struggling in silence, afraid to seek help or convinced that nobody would understand.

Sometimes, knowing that another person has faced similar challenges can make it easier to speak up and take the first step towards getting support.

However, sharing personal experiences should always be a choice. Nobody should feel pressured to reveal private details about their mental health to educate others or prove that their struggles are real. Everyone deserves the freedom to decide what they are comfortable sharing.

Listening to lived experiences also means resisting the urge to judge, interrupt or immediately offer solutions. Sometimes, people do not need us to fix everything. They simply need someone who is willing to listen and acknowledge what they are feeling.

Real change begins when we stop treating mental health as an uncomfortable subject and start treating people with the understanding they deserve.

My journey with mental health has also reminded me of the importance of being kinder to myself.

We can be understanding towards the people we love while being incredibly hard on ourselves. We tell others that they do not have to be perfect and that it is okay to rest, yet we may struggle to extend that same kindness to ourselves.

I am learning that I do not need to have everything figured out all the time. My worth is not measured by how much I accomplish, how many responsibilities I carry or how well I hide my struggles.

There is nothing wrong with taking a step back when we need to. There is nothing wrong with admitting that something is affecting us emotionally, and there is certainly nothing wrong with asking for help.

Mental health journeys are not always straightforward. There may be good days and difficult days, moments of clarity and moments of uncertainty. What matters is that we continue to give ourselves the patience and compassion we need.

Resilience is not about never falling apart. It is about learning to recognize our limits, finding healthy ways to cope and accepting support when we need it.

Seeking help is not a failure of independence. It is an acknowledgement that we are human and that we do not have to carry every burden alone.

As we mark World Mental Health Day 2026, I hope we will do more than share a post, use a hashtag or acknowledge the importance of mental wellbeing for one day.

I hope parents will teach their children that emotions are nothing to be ashamed of. I hope workplaces will create environments where employees can speak about their wellbeing without fear of judgement. I hope families will learn to listen with greater patience, and I hope friends will check in on one another and genuinely care about the answers.

Most importantly, I hope we will stop assuming that we know what someone is going through simply because of what we see.

We may not know the story behind someone's silence, tears or decision to withdraw for a while. Instead of jumping to conclusions, we can choose kindness. Instead of criticizing, we can offer understanding.

We may not be able to solve every problem or take away another person's pain, but we can make the world a little less lonely for those who are struggling.

That, to me, is what real change looks like.

My mental health journey is part of my life, but it does not define my entire identity. I am more than my difficult days and more than the moments when I feel overwhelmed. I am someone who continues to learn, grow and find the strength to keep going, while recognizing that I do not have to face everything alone.

If there is one message I hope people take away from this World Mental Health Day, it is this: please be kinder to one another, because you never truly know what someone is going through behind closed doors.

To anyone struggling with their mental health, please know that you are not weak, you are not a burden, and you are not less deserving of love or respect because of what you are experiencing. Your feelings matter, your experiences matter and your voice deserves to be heard.

You do not have to pretend to be okay just to make other people comfortable. You deserve to be supported and accepted as you are.

And to those who may not personally understand mental health struggles, I hope you will be willing to listen and learn. You do not need all the answers. Sometimes, patience, compassion and a willingness to listen without judgement can make a meaningful difference.

Let us work towards a society where people no longer feel compelled to suffer in silence because they are afraid of being judged. Let us create spaces where honesty is welcomed, vulnerability is respected and seeking help is encouraged rather than questioned.

Mental health awareness should not end when World Mental Health Day is over. It should be reflected in our conversations, our relationships, our workplaces, our families and the way we treat one another every day.

Real voices deserve to be heard. Real experiences deserve to be respected. Real change begins when we choose understanding over judgement and acceptance over stigma.

That is the change I hope to see, not just in 2026, but for generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © I Am S.P.G.

Design by Debra Palmer