Sunday, July 26, 2026

What Drained My Energy in the Last 12 Months

 

The last twelve months have taught me that exhaustion is not always caused by working too hard. Sometimes it comes from carrying too much emotionally while still trying to show up with a smile every day. Looking back, I realize that my energy was not drained by one major event but by a series of responsibilities, disappointments, moments of grief, and the constant pressure I placed on myself to keep moving forward.

One of the biggest drains on my energy has been grief. Grief is a strange companion because it never truly leaves. It simply changes its shape. There are days when I can laugh, work, and enjoy life, only to have a song, a photograph, or a simple conversation bring back memories that hit me just as hard as they did years ago. Losing someone you love changes the way you experience the world. It teaches you that healing does not mean forgetting. Carrying that emotional weight while trying to live a full life has required far more energy than I ever expected.

Another source of exhaustion has been constantly trying to be strong for everyone around me. I genuinely enjoy helping others. Whether it is offering advice, supporting friends, volunteering, encouraging someone through a difficult season, or simply listening, I find purpose in being there for people. However, there have been moments when I forgot that even those who support others also need support themselves. I became so focused on lifting other people that I rarely stopped to ask myself whether I had enough strength left for my own journey.

This year also challenged me professionally. Like many people, I have dreams that extend far beyond my current circumstances. Building new projects, creating content, writing, developing businesses, and pursuing new opportunities all require creativity, discipline, and persistence. While these goals excite me, they also come with uncertainty. There were countless hours spent planning, researching, designing, rewriting, and questioning whether I was making the right decisions. The emotional investment behind every project is often invisible to others, yet it quietly consumes enormous amounts of energy.

Social media has been another unexpected drain. I love connecting with people and sharing stories that inspire, encourage, and educate. It has introduced me to incredible friendships and opportunities that I never imagined possible. At the same time, maintaining an online presence requires consistency, creativity, and resilience. There is always another post to create, another comment to reply to, another message to answer, and another expectation to meet. Even when people see the polished final product, they rarely see the hours of thought, editing, and emotional investment behind it.

The past year has also reminded me that growth often comes with sacrifice. Pursuing ambitious goals means giving up comfort, routine, and sometimes even rest. I found myself saying yes to opportunities because I believed in them, but every yes also meant saying no to something else. There were evenings when I continued working long after I should have stopped because I wanted to make one more improvement or finish one more task. Over time, those extra hours accumulated into fatigue that became difficult to ignore.

Health has also played its part. Stress has a remarkable way of affecting both the body and the mind. There were periods when anxiety made even simple tasks feel overwhelming. Instead of feeling refreshed after sleeping, I often woke up already thinking about everything that needed to be done. The mental checklist never seemed to disappear. I realized that being busy and being productive are not always the same thing. Sometimes I was simply surviving rather than truly living.

One of the hardest lessons this year has been accepting that I cannot control everything. I like planning ahead and solving problems before they become crises. Unfortunately, life rarely follows carefully written plans. There were situations that required patience instead of action, faith instead of certainty, and acceptance instead of control. Learning to let go has been emotionally exhausting because it goes against my natural instinct to fix things.

Relationships have also demanded emotional energy. Every meaningful relationship requires time, communication, understanding, forgiveness, and compassion. There were moments when misunderstandings, distance, or changing circumstances reminded me that people are constantly growing and changing. Maintaining healthy relationships is deeply rewarding, but it is never effortless. It requires vulnerability, and vulnerability is never easy.

Despite everything that has drained me, I have also discovered something incredibly important. Energy is not simply about physical strength. It is deeply connected to purpose. The moments that exhausted me the most were often the same moments that reminded me why I do what I do. Loving people deeply, pursuing meaningful work, serving others, honouring those I have lost, and continuing to believe in a better future are all worth the effort, even when they leave me tired.

As I reflect on the past twelve months, I no longer see exhaustion as a sign of weakness. Instead, I see it as evidence that I cared deeply. I invested my heart into people, projects, dreams, and causes that mattered to me. While I still need to learn healthier boundaries and give myself permission to rest, I also recognize that every challenge has shaped me into someone stronger, wiser, and more compassionate.

Moving forward, I want to protect my energy more intentionally. I want to make time for quiet moments, celebrate small victories, and remember that rest is not something I earn after finishing every task. It is something I need if I want to continue serving others with joy. I want to choose peace over perfection, progress over pressure, and balance over constant busyness.

The past year has drained me in many ways, but it has also revealed the resilience I never knew I possessed. I have learned that even when my energy feels depleted, hope can still remain. As long as hope remains, I know I can continue moving forward one step, one day, and one new beginning at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © I Am S.P.G.

Design by Debra Palmer