Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Who Helped Me Become a Better Version of Myself

 

When someone asks me who helped me become a better version of myself, I could probably give them many names. But if I am being completely honest, I think the answer is much deeper than that.

It is a story of people who loved me, people who believed in me, people who stood beside me, people who challenged me, and even people who hurt me. Every one of them left something behind. Some left memories I will treasure forever. Some left scars that took a long time to heal. Some taught me what love should feel like, while others taught me what love should never feel like. Somewhere in between all of those experiences, I became the woman I am today.

I was not always this strong. There were times when I questioned myself, times when I wondered if I was enough, and times when I wondered whether I was too sensitive, too emotional, too trusting or simply expecting too much from people. There were moments when life felt incredibly heavy and I had no idea how I was going to carry everything I was carrying. But somehow, I did. I kept going.

Looking back now, I realize that the people in my life helped me become stronger in ways they may never fully understand. Some did it through love and encouragement. Others did it through difficult experiences that forced me to find strength I did not know I had.

My parents were among the first people to shape the person I became. They taught me about family, responsibility, sacrifice and the importance of being there for the people you love. As I have grown older, I have come to understand my parents differently.

When we are young, we sometimes take our parents for granted. We assume they will always be there. We do not always appreciate the sacrifices they made or the things they quietly carried for us. But growing older changes your perspective. Today, being able to care for my parents feels like a blessing. There is something deeply humbling about caring for the people who once cared for you. The hands that once held ours eventually become the hands we want to hold.

My children have also played an enormous part in making me who I am. When I became a mother, my life was no longer only about me. I had little people depending on me, watching me and learning from me. I wanted to protect them from every disappointment, every heartbreak and every difficulty life could bring.

Of course, I eventually learned that I could not protect them from everything. As much as we want to protect our children, we have to let them experience life for themselves. We have to allow them to make mistakes, find their own identity and discover their own path. My children taught me that love sometimes means holding on, and sometimes it means letting go.

They taught me patience, forgiveness and acceptance. They taught me that no matter how old they become, they will always have a piece of my heart that sees them as the little children they once were. Perhaps one of the greatest things they taught me is that being a mother does not mean being perfect. It means showing up. It means doing your best. It means loving even when you are tired and continuing to be there even when you do not have all the answers.

I have also been shaped by people who came into my life during difficult chapters. Some people saw my strength when I could not see it myself. They listened when I needed to talk, encouraged me when I doubted myself and reminded me that I was capable of more than I thought.

Sometimes we underestimate the power of having someone simply believe in us. A person does not always need to rescue us. Sometimes they just need to remind us that we can rescue ourselves. Those people have been gifts in my life, and I will always be grateful for them.

But I would be lying if I said everyone who shaped me was kind to me. Some of the biggest lessons I have learned came from people who hurt me.

There were experiences that made me question my own worth. There were times when I gave too much of myself to people who did not appreciate it. There were times when I stayed quiet because I did not want to be a burden or cause problems. There were moments when I wondered whether asking for love, respect, understanding and reassurance was somehow asking for too much.

It took me a long time to realize that it was not.

I was simply learning where I belonged and where I did not.

The people who hurt me taught me something that I desperately needed to learn. I cannot control how other people treat me, but I can control what I accept. I can choose my boundaries. I can choose when to walk away. I can choose not to keep explaining my worth to someone who has already decided not to see it.

That lesson changed me.

I became more aware of myself. I learned that being kind does not mean allowing people to hurt me repeatedly. Being loving does not mean losing myself. Being forgiving does not mean forgetting the lesson. Having a big heart does not mean I have to give everyone unlimited access to it.

Perhaps this is where I began to truly become a better version of myself. Not when everything became easy, but when I stopped allowing difficult experiences to define me.

I could have become bitter. There were certainly moments when I had every reason to be. But I did not want the things that happened to me to turn me into someone I did not recognize. I wanted to remain kind. I wanted to remain loving. I wanted to remain capable of seeing the good in people. But I also wanted to become wiser.

There is a difference between being innocent and being wise.

I no longer want to carry the baggage of every person who has hurt me. I want to carry the lesson. That is something I have learned with age. We cannot change our past. We cannot go back and protect the younger version of ourselves from every painful experience. But we can look back at that younger person with compassion.

We can tell her that she did the best she could with what she knew at the time. We can tell her that she survived things she once thought would break her. And we can tell her that she became stronger.

I sometimes think about everything I have been through and I am amazed that I am still capable of loving so deeply. That, to me, is strength.

Strength is not never being hurt. Strength is being hurt and choosing not to become cruel. Strength is crying and then getting up the next morning. Strength is admitting that you are struggling instead of pretending everything is fine. Strength is knowing when you need someone, and it is also knowing when you need to stand on your own.

I have learned that I can be both strong and vulnerable. I can be independent and still want companionship. I can care deeply and still have boundaries. I can be emotional and still be resilient. I can admit that something hurt me without allowing it to control my life.

I do not think becoming a better version of myself means becoming a completely different person. It means becoming more comfortable with who I really am.

For years, I thought I had to change myself to be accepted. Now I understand that the right people will not require me to shrink myself. They will not make me feel ashamed for caring. They will not make me feel like my emotions are a weakness. They will appreciate my heart while also respecting my boundaries.

And perhaps the person who deserves the most credit for who I have become is me.

I do not say that from a place of arrogance. I say it from a place of gratitude. Because there were moments when nobody could make the decision for me to keep going. I had to make that decision myself.

I had to get out of bed. I had to pick myself up. I had to wipe my own tears. I had to tell myself that tomorrow could be better. I had to learn to believe in myself again.

And I did.

Not perfectly. Not all at once. But little by little.

Every difficult chapter added another layer of strength. Every disappointment taught me something. Every person who loved me reminded me that I was worthy of love. Every person who hurt me taught me to value myself more. Every challenge showed me that I could survive more than I thought I could.

Today, I look at my life differently.

I am grateful for the people who stayed. I am grateful for the people who loved me. I am grateful for the people who believed in me. And strangely, I am even grateful for some of the people who hurt me. Not because I enjoyed the pain, but because I would not have learned certain lessons without it.

They helped me discover boundaries. They helped me discover courage. They helped me discover my own voice. Most importantly, they helped me discover that I am stronger than I ever gave myself credit for.

So, who helped me become a better version of myself?

My parents. My children. The people who loved me. The people who believed in me. The people who challenged me. The people who hurt me. The people who stayed. And the people who left.

But ultimately, it was also me.

It was the woman who kept going when she was tired. The woman who loved even after being hurt. The woman who chose forgiveness over bitterness. The woman who learned to say no. The woman who learned that her feelings matter. The woman who realized that she does not have to prove her worth to anyone.

It was the woman who looked at everything she had survived and decided that her story was not going to end there.

I am still becoming. I still have things to learn. I still have moments when I doubt myself. I still get emotional. I still overthink. I still have days when I need reassurance. But I no longer see those things as proof that I am weak. They are simply part of being human.

I have learned that becoming a better version of myself is not about becoming perfect. It is about becoming more honest with myself. It is about learning from yesterday without living in it. It is about appreciating the people who have helped me without allowing the people who hurt me to define me. It is about choosing love while still choosing myself.

And when I look back at the woman I once was, I do not judge her.

I am proud of her.

She survived. She loved. She tried. She fell. She got back up. She made mistakes. She learned. And she kept going.

Everything I have experienced has brought me here. Every person has played a part. Every chapter has taught me something. Every scar reminds me that I made it through.

I do not need to forget the difficult parts of my story to be happy with who I am today. Those difficult parts are part of me too. They remind me of how far I have come and how much strength it took to get here.

The truth is, I am still a work in progress, and I think I always will be.

I want to keep learning. I want to keep growing. I want to continue becoming kinder, wiser, stronger and more courageous. I want to love deeply without losing myself. I want to give generously without forgetting my own needs. I want to keep my heart soft while becoming wise enough to protect it.

When I think about who helped me become a better version of myself, I no longer look for one person.

I see a lifetime of people, experiences, love, loss, lessons and choices.

And then I see myself standing in the middle of it all.

Still here.

Still learning.

Still loving.

Still growing.

Still becoming.

Perhaps that is the greatest lesson of all.

The better version of myself was never someone I had to become for other people.

She was always there.

Life simply had to teach me how to find her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © I Am S.P.G.

Design by Debra Palmer